1.05.2012

chocolate pumpkin bars.

These chocolatey pumpkin bars have long been one of my family's favorite snacks. They're perfect for a mid-afternoon snack or for any celebration. The last time I made them was for my friend's birthday...they're her favorite, too.


chocolate pumpkin bars
(recipe adapted from Nick Jr. Family magazine...ha!)

Ingredients:
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 large eggs, beaten
1 can (15 oz) pumpkin
1/2 cup canola oil
1/4 cup low-fat milk
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips

Note: The recipe originally calls for 1 cup of pecans (very finely chopped) so you can add that in during the second step if you wish, but I personally like them better without nuts.

Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Lightly oil a 15-inch-by-10-inch-by-1-inch rimmed baking pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
2. Whisk together flours, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, combine eggs, pumpkin, canola oil, and milk. Add to the dry mixture along with the chocolate chips and stir.
4. Spread batter evenly in the prepared pan and bake for 25 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center of the batter comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into squares.



Enjoy!

Kendall

20 comments:

  1. Those chocolate chips look so delicious and gooey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my goodness! That looks so good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm those look really good. :) I might have to try them sometime soon. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm, they look so good! I want to make them myself . . . :)

    Blessings,
    Elizabeth Rose

    ReplyDelete
  5. have to try, looks so good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. how delicious! i think i'm going to have to try these someday! :))
    -jocee <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look delish! I'm feeling so hungry now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooo...these look great! Gotta love chocolate and pumpkin ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look DELICIOUS. I've been on the hunt for a recipe!! Thanks so much (:

    ReplyDelete
  10. You had me at chocolate. :)

    Thanks for posting this. It looks yummy.

    xoxo,
    --Abi

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yummm... My sister is a baking queen -- I'll have to suggest these to her.

    XOXO

    Acacia

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my gosh. These look great. I want to eat them. :D

    I happen to have Celiac disease, and I know not everyone has to or wants to eat that way, but can you guys do a few gluten-free cooking posts here and there? I'd be so grateful if you did. :)

    <3 food

    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  13. They look so good! I will be making these soon!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mmm! Yummo! They look very good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. When I ready the title, I was a little surprised at the combination, but not after reading the recipe and seeing photos! The look delicious : )

    ReplyDelete
  16. OH MY GOSH! YUM!! Thanks for sharing this! The pictures are wonderful as well, Kendall!

    ReplyDelete
  17. so stoked to make these this weekend! they look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  18. They look delish! My family makes pumpkin muffins that are similar to these and they are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Holy crap, I am definitely going to have to make these. They sound divine.

    ReplyDelete