1.06.2012

cinnamon coconut granola



There's something wonderfully delicious about a morning ritual of nutty granola and a cup of coffee, sun streaming across the newspaper spread out across the kitchen table. I like to take my time with my breakfast; it's almost like the calm before the storm of a busy day (which seems to be the case more and more lately). And this little breakfast ritual is even better with homemade granola.

Here's how.





cinnamon coconut granola

ingredients

– six cups plain uncooked oats (such as Quaker's)
– 1/2 cup coconut oil
– 1/4 cup brown sugar
– 1/4 cup honey or maple syrup
– 1 1/2 cups shredded coconut
– 1 teaspoon sea salt
– 1 1/2 tablespoons cinnamon (or to taste)
– 1/2 cup raisins
– 1/2 cup chocolate chips

to make

Preheat the oven to 250°. Pour the oatmeal on a large cookie sheet with sides. Add the sugar, salt, coconut, and cinnamon to the oatmeal and stir to combine. In a sauce pan over medium heat, melt together the coconut oil and honey or maple syrup. Once melted, pour over the oatmeal mixture. Stir until everything is coated.
Roast for one and a half hours, stirring occasionally. Wait until cooled, then add raisins and chocolate chips. Transfer the granola to an air-tight container and store at room temperature. 





Enjoy!

xo,
carlotta

16 comments:

  1. Yummy! I love coconut oil, what a great way to use it! I bet this smells amazing as it roasts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. your food photography is - wow. i can't even... lovelovelove this post carlotta!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yum. Beautiful photos, love. Definitely making myself some of this before break is over.

    xo,
    twin sister.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, how yummy! I can completely relate to breakfast being a calm before the busy day, especially since I normally rise at about 6 or 6:30 A.M. I eat breakfast in the kitchen, quietly watching the sunset and enjoying a house absent -- albeit briefly -- of noise. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. yum! my mom makes some, as well, but she adds dried apricots, almonds, and almond extract to give it her special touch (we love nuts- especially because we get bags and bags from when we visit Mexico- it's cheap there).

    anyways, thanks for sharing. this site has already taken a very special place in my daily routine.

    xo flor

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your photography is always so, SO stunning. Love every single picture. The colors, textures, lighting, props...okay everything is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. how delicious! i think i should do something like this, only with tea instead of coffee. by the way, doesn't reading the newspaper just make you feel so grown-up? it does for me, at least. lovely, lovely photos, dearie. je adore. :))
    -jocee <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this blog. You guys really should do a print magazine. I would subscribe, for sure. I'm definitely going to try some of your recipes, and diy's when they're posted.

    ~nina

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Carlotta! Yummy! Do you eat this with yogurt or milk? Or dry?

    I'll have to try this sometime. :) And yes...calm before a busy day = perfect example. Breakfast is one of those times that can be rushed through, but that is much more fulfilling if it's not. (I usually like to read while eating.)

    --Liz B

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum. Definitely going to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. YUM! I'm a huge granola fan. I like to eat it alone & put it on top of yogurt! (:

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Liz: it can be eaten any way you like it :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds delicious! I love granola with goat's yoghurt but the stuff from the supermarket has so much sugar and artificial flavouring in it. This is wonderfully wholesome.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love a quiet, relaxing breakfast, too. :)
    Nice shots!

    ReplyDelete